Teeth cleaning is an activity that needs to be done regularly to avoid build up of plaque, which if not removed, will eventually cause tooth decay. If you have noticed your teeth losing their color and turning yellow, it might be time for you to schedule an appointment with your dentist for a teeth cleaning.
WHAT IS TEETH CLEANING?
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A TEETH CLEANING APPOINTMENT?
A teeth cleaning procedure is simple and painless. It would mainly involve the following steps:
- A physical exam: Before the actual cleaning process begins, a dental hygienist examines the mouth. With the help of a small mirror, he or she checks around the gums and teeth for gingivitis or any other dental issues. If there are no major issues to be addressed, the next step follows.
- Removal of tartar and plaque: With the help of the small mirror and a scalar, the hygienist scraps off all the built up plaque and tartar. More tartar implies more scraping. If regular brushing and flossing is not practiced at home, more tartar might have built up.
- Gritty toothpaste cleaning: After the tartar is scraped off, the teeth are brushed using a high-powered electric brush. This performs a deep clean ensuring any remaining tartar is removed. The toothpaste is gritty and helps scrub the teeth gently.
- Flossing: With an expert flossing, the hygienist can identify and clean potential trouble spots while removing any leftover tartar and toothpaste from earlier.
- Rinsing: Using a rinse containing fluoride, you will wash your mouth and remove any particles present.
- Fluoride treatment: A fluoride treatment applied to your teeth helps protect your teeth from cavities during the months to come. You may pick a flavor of the paste or gel that is applied to a mouthpiece before fitting it for your teeth. It is left there for about a minute. Fluoride varnish may also be coated onto the teeth. It hardens after coming in contact with the saliva allowing you to eat and drink soon after the procedure.
KEEPING YOUR TEETH AND GUMS HEALTHY
It is advised to get your teeth cleaned by a professional at least twice a year. Not only does it help in keeping your teeth and gums clean and healthy, but it also helps catch any potential problems early on.
You can have your X-rays done once a year. Children would also require teeth cleaning and your dentist may suggest molar sealants to protect against cavities in areas that are hard to brush.
GETTING YOUR TEETH CLEANED TWICE A YEAR
You can ask your doctor for tips to oral care that can be followed at home for best results. Set up an appointment for your teeth cleaning with San Anselmo Family Dentistry.
At San Anselmo Family Dentistry, we are experts when it comes to teeth cleaning. We will have you flaunting your teeth and smiling in no time. We have the expertise to cater to all kinds of needs and the family-owned atmosphere will put you at ease instantly. Give us a call today to schedule your appointment.